A materiality matrix will distill the interests, requirements, capabilities, and insights of key stakeholders into a matrix of material sustainability topics. Materiality in the context of a sustainability report, as defined by the GRI Sustainability Reporting Standards, should include aspects that reflect the organization's significant economic, environmental, and social impacts, or substantively influence the assessments and decisions of stakeholders.
Following are the key topics of importance to Trinseo stakeholders and to our business. This document has been useful as a guideline for the development of Trinseo's larger 2030 goals and strategies related to sustainability, corporate social responsibility, and climate change.
- Climate Goal: Identifying and addressing Trinseo’s impacts, risks, and opportunities regarding climate change; determining a goal that will help to lower Trinseo’s impact upon the climate
- Sustainable & Innovative Products for Customers: Solving our customers’ most complex materials challenges, many of which stem from the need for sustainability, through our innovative solutions
- Product Safety: Eliminating or reducing the environmental, health, and safety impacts of our products
- Circular Solutions: Developing innovative solutions through the life cycles of our products that recover or reintroduce resources back into the life cycle of the product; participating in collaborative organizations to move toward a circular economy
- Labor & Human Rights: Complying with local and international laws and standards for business ethics and human rights and requiring the same from our value chain; supporting the importance of eradicating modern slavery, child slavery, and promoting respect and dignity for all workers
- Ethics & Compliance: Operating with the highest ethical integrity and in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations
- Sustainability Goals: Developing concrete sustainability goals to help integrate sustainability measures into the organization
- Sustainable Procurement: Working with suppliers who reflect our commitment to sustainability and make a positive impact on the value chain
- Environmentally Responsible Operations: Operating our manufacturing facilities in a way that reduces impact on air, water, land, and biodiversity, and that conserves natural resources
- Economic Performance: Pursuing a financial performance that positions us to continually innovate in support of our commitment to sustainability and return value for shareholders
- Community Impact: Serving as a good neighbor to the communities in which we operate
- Attract and Retain Talent: Being an attractive employer through our employment engagement and responsible employer policies; recruiting and retaining talent that best helps us in our mission, with a focus on increasing gender diversity throughout our workforce and further developing our existing talent
- Employee Health & Safety: Prioritizing the health and safety of our employees and contractors